Today I needed to install winpcap and Wireshark on Windows Server Core 2008 R2. So, here is how I finally accomplished this.
- Install WireShark on your local box (x64 only).
- Get the winpcap.dll and packet.dll from your Windows\System32 directory and copy it to the new core server in the same location.
- Download and install Network Monitor 3.4 (Microsoft’s Wireshark) on the Server Core server. (This installs the necessary Network Card Driver)
- Now install Wireshark on the core server. WinPcap installation will fail.. That is ok.
- cd to Program Files\Wireshark
- run Wireshark.exe
That is about it. I have it up and running on my Server Core box. Hope this helps someone else!